We are avid believers that a tired, worn out (exercised) puppy is a well behaved puppy! While continued training is key, proper exercise is especially important. A flirt pole makes exercise easy. Black Smoke Bullies recommends this tool because it is easy to make, inexpensive, easy to use, and a great toy even for owners who have limited mobility. 20-30 minutes several times a week is all you need with this. It will help with lean muscle development, focus, and of course – unwanted behavioral issues related to pent up (unused) energy and axiety related issues (such as chewing up the house)! It requires very little energy from the owner to exercise your Bully with a flirt pole. It is a great all around tool, and we are going to show you how to make one. It is extremely simple and very inexpensive! It is a necessity for any home with a Pitbull or American Bully puppy or young adult.
- (THE POLE): PVC Pipe, 1/2″ to 3/4″ in diameter, approximately 3′ long (your local home supply can cut these in store for you)
- (THE CORD): Bungee (type) Cord (thickness needs to be less than the diameter of the PVC pipe you choose) with the anchoring hooks on both ends cut off, approximately 8′ in length.
- (THE BAIT): We suggest any of these, but you can use pretty much anything that can be fastened securely to the cord: Raw rabbit hide, fleece, raw cow hide/leather, an unwrapped rawhide, a stuffed dog toy, old cut up sheets or bedding, dried cow ear, or anything your dog wants to catch!
- (THE HANDLE): Optional – Good ‘ol duct tape!
BUILDING THE FLIRT POLE
- Thread the entire cord through the PVC pipe. Tie a double or triple knot at one end to anchor the cord (this will be the side used as the handle).
- Tie another double knot as close to the PVC pipe as possible on the end where the cord hangs out (this is to just keep the cord from slipping back through, and does not have to be perfect).
- At the end of the cord, securely fasten your bait. It can be wrapped several times if necessary. It does not have to be pretty at all.
- If desired, wrap duct tape around the end of the PVC pipe for the handle, just so you have some grip.
So, the object of this toy is to NOT let your puppy or dog catch the bait! Toss it out like a fishing rod, spin in circles, pull it up to make the “bait appear to “hop” – whatever you can do to be sure your dog does not catch the bait! It is similar to a cat toy, just larger scale.